Wednesday 3 December 2014

"From the Car Seat to the Drivers Seat"
The road trip of a lifetime

December 3, 2014

Yesterday I received an e-mail from the CAIS Executive Director, Anne-Marie Kee and is simply stated:


Subject: Sometimes I forget you are a new head
"How are you?  Just wanted to check in..."

It was an exquisitely brief and kind communication.  These eight words really started me thinking, how were things going?



Instead of slowing down and reflecting too much, I opted to write whatever first came to mind - here is the response:
I am really well - Rundle is a spectacular place to be!  In fact, here's what happened just yesterday. 
After doing my weekly classroom visits in our Primary School, I was exiting through the boot room.  At this very moment, the kindergarten group were on their way in from recess.  One boy showed me his new snow pants, another girl showed me her pink touque with a huge pom pom and a third asked me if she could tell me something.  I responded, "Of course," and she quickly shot back, "I love you."  
From there I worked with administration, staff and students in all grades and divisions.  Nearly 10 hours later, as the day came to a close, I attended our Christmas Gala and had the opportunity to watch our students display their talents.  Their were acts of incredible singing, expressive acting, and several comedic interludes. One of the many highlights was a dance by one of Canada's young and high achieving ballerinas. 
As I drove from the Gala, I thought to myself and smiled, "Where else in the world do you have the opportunity to enjoy this range of experiences in just one day?"   



I'm not sure Anne-Marie was expecting the monologue she received.  However, I am happy she asked the question!  It gave me the opportunity to sit back and reflect on the many gifts that are given to us each and every day.  So I extend the same opportunity to you as I ask - "How are you - just wanted to check in...."

As we enter December and think about the blessings in our lives, I think it's worthwhile to reflect on our shared journey.  The opportunity to experience this trip from the car seat to the drivers seat with our students is one that we should not take for granted.  

Best of wishes in the coming days and I look forward to seeing many of you at the upcoming events that will celebrate the Rundle culture and the holiday season!

All the best,


Jason B. Rogers

No comments:

Post a Comment