Grade 6 Celebration
June 23, 2014
Special Guests, Faculty, and Grade 6 Celebrants. It is my honor to be able to provide today’s toast to the students.
A quick question for the students before I begin…. how many of you know of the story of David and Goliath?
Just so we are all on the same page - one could summarize the story by saying it is the ultimate underdog story. In the duel of David & Goliath, Goliath was the overwhelming favorite. He was a giant who had the most sophisticated body armor and weaponry. David, on the other hand, was small in stature and had no body armor and simple weaponry. It was because of David’s belief in himself, his creativity, and his ability to think out of the box; that he was ultimately able to overcome the odds.
Now, Grade 6 Celebrants, does David’s journey remind you of anything or anybody?
I hope David’s success makes you think of yourselves. In your first 6 years of formal education, you too have overcome seemingly insurmountable odds. With the support of your parents and your teachers you have moved mountains by being resilient, creative, gritty and outside the box thinkers. Your Goliath was ‘learning’ and with success in each grade level you are conquering that Goliath.
As you move forward into Junior High and beyond, remember the things that have helped you succeed so far:
- you have asked for help when you needed it - and when the help came you accepted it
- you have advocated for yourself
- you have embraced your own creativity and the creativity of others
- you have used your accommodations to ‘level the playing field’ - and as result, you are reaching your potential
- you have had pride in yourself, pride your learning and pride your school
- you have never given up - and it is my hope that you never do
- and more than anything else… you have been kind to each other - you will never go wrong if you focus on being kind each and every day
Grade 6 students, I offer you a heartfelt congratulations and wish you all the best as you move into your Junior High years.