Friday 29 March 2019



Head’s Up

The Cost of Caring

February 2019


Dear Rundle Community:


I don’t know, but if you are anything like me, this past week has been one of reflection and reminiscence. The week was bookended by news of loss in our community and by a night of wonderful celebration at the ‘Rundle Has Talent’ event at the elementary school.

In this month’s Head’s Up, I thought it may be appropriate to keep my updates to a simple narrative reflection. I hope some of the words resonate with you and your Rundle Experience.

Together,

Jason B. Rogers




“The Cost of Caring, 

the Paradox of Small, 

And

The Importance of a Connected Community”



Looking back a couple of years ago, I have a vivid memory of a conversation with a trusted friend who came in to assist our community during a time of loss.


The conversation went like this:


Me: “I have to admit, I’m really impacted by what’s gone on.”


Friend: “I can understand that, do you want to tell me more?”


Me: “I’m really feeling sad and have more questions than I have answers. I am finding it really hard to say goodbye; simply put, this has just been a really hard time.”


Friend: “Jason, do you mind if I share something that I think might help?”


Me: “Of course not.”


Friend: “When you are a part of a small and connected community like Rundle, the feelings you are having are ‘the cost of caring’.”


I have to admit, I have come back to this memory so many times this week and I am sure there are many in our community experiencing this deep sense of loss and the impact of ‘the cost of caring.’ Today, as much as it did years ago, this statement sticks with me and reminds me that in sadness and celebration, the ‘cost of caring’ is a risk I’m willing to take on.


Over the course of this past week, two other important points my friend made during our conversation have come to full light for me; these words are ‘small’ and ‘connected.’


First, let me share my meditation on the paradox of ‘Rundle small.’ One of the amazing characteristics about Rundle is the feeling of being small. From our classes that are smaller than 15 students to the small schools to the opportunities to be involved that come with small co-curricular offerings; everything about Rundle exudes the ethos of smallness. That being said, the feeling of ‘Rundle small’ is a true paradox. Rundle College Society is among the biggest private schools in Canada in many respects including school achievement, physical footprint, student population, and staff size. If you think of it, there are nearly 1100 students, which means, if you count staff, faculty, students, alumni, parents, siblings, etc. - our community is well beyond a population of 5000 people. This number, when put in the context of my home province, Saskatchewan, would be big enough to be considered one of the province’s top 15 sized cities. The true magic of ‘Rundle small’ is that we are close enough to all 5000 people in our community that we live a huge shared experience. With this breadth of impact, we can count on sharing the full extent of the human experience with each and every season.

The second thought is around the term ‘connected.’ I really love the notion of the in-person connection we can have as a result of our culture of caring and smallness. In a world that is consumed with digital connection, which is proving to be related to isolation and a host of emotional challenges, it is nice to know that we are in a community where we can genuinely be together during easy and hard times. Although it may be easier to be a digital arm’s length away, I encourage our community to continue to embrace the human side of connection. Rundle will always be a place where kindness counts, where we believe in best intentions and where we can come together to create a community that supports each other. The highlights of our days often come in those handshakes, hugs, hallway conversations, and handwritten notes.

To close this ‘Head’s Up,’ let me thank you for your support, for sharing in the cost of caring and for being a part of our small and connected community.



On the Shelf:


Head’s Up Podcast - Episode 60 - Primary Students Ask The Headmaster (literally anything)


If you are looking for a little levity, give a listen and hear how my conversation with 4 students from Rundle Primary went!


Digital Minimalism: Choosing a Focused Life in a Noisy World by Cal Newport










No comments:

Post a Comment